Friday, July 01, 2005

I used to think socks just weren't for me

Do you hate double pointed needles? Do you think socks would be boring and repetitive? Then read on.

For the longest time I couldn't figure out why everyone seems so obsessed with knitting socks. Those needles are so tiny and I hate double points. I mean I loath them. I hate how I always wind up with ladders no matter how tightly I try to pull the stitches at the end of my needles. Then along came Anne at our knitting group. She introduced me to the joys of magic loop. Now I can knit in the round without double points, and I don't have to worry as much about stitches falling off the end of those tiny needles.


I have to admit the first thing I did was buy some self striping yarn. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. And it is. Here are my first pair of socks. Now don't get me wrong. They are perfectly good socks. I knit them using the Your Putting me on Sock pattern which is a great toe-up generic sock pattern. I then went a ahead and added a fancy stitch to the top. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that you needed to do a rib stitch at the top in order to allow the sock to stretch. Consequently, while this sock is wearable, it is pretty tight.

My next two pairs of socks were gifted and I didn't take photos so I can't share them with you.


My next socks for myself using Koigu and the Fiber Trends Raindrop Lace Sock pattern. This is the first time I knit with Koigu. How could I not love the experience? One thing I will say though is these socks are extremely slippery to walk around in.


The last pair of socks I knit are the Waving Lace Socks form IK spring 2004. I knit these in Wildfoote luxury Sock yarn. I wasn't all that elated with it. It was super cheap and that is always something to think about, but it split a bit and it just didn't feel all that great to me. I love the socks though. I pattern was easy to follow and interesting to knit.

Currently on the needles is some lovely Blue white and purple cotton Catania Color from Schachenmayr. So far I am loving it. I am back to the generic toe up pattern. This time I am going to add a looped honeycomb rib to it. I just cast these on last night because I needed a good travel project. And really, for me that is one of the best aspects of sock knitting. They are so darn portable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home