Thursday, November 17, 2005

The Feel for Felt

I finally did it. I have been wanting to felt something for ages now. For my first project I decided to try a Booga Bag from Julie. I have seen several of these and thought they were cute. I also wanted to try out some Noro yarn.




Here it is pre-felting



I am not entirely happy with how this bag turned out. It is much deeper than it is wide and sorta reminds me of a lunch bag in its size and shape. Also the Noro didn't felt to well. After 4 washings there si still more stitch definition than I would like. It is however a nice size for toting around small projects like socks and the yarn doesn't shed all over everything. I give it a B.

For my next project I decided to make the Mitered Square Tote. A while ago a bought a one pound grab bag of yarn from Kiparoo farms. I really liked the colors (bright lime green and deep purples) I was worried that the mohair wouldn't felt right, but was I wrong! It probably felted better than the wool. Even the bouchle mohair turned out great.



I love this bag. It felted really well and was fun to just change colors whenever I ran out of yarn or felt like it. I knitting both sides at the same time in order to ensure that the color hangs happened at the same time and that I didn't run out of yarn. I also made it slightly smaller than the pattern called for. After felting the strap is the perfect size to wear diagonally across the shoulders and is about the size perfect for holding magazines and patterns. I get SO many compliments on the bag. People stop me on the metro and street to ask me about it. I totally give this project an A+.

For my third bag I made another mitered square tote. This one is much smaller and more of a purse size. I cast on the same number of stitches for the side and bottom of the bag but less for the squares. This gave me a smaller wider bag. I then added I-cord handles. I ran out of yarn so the handles are smaller than I would like them to be. Still I like how it turned out. The yarn was again from a grab-bag but this time from Dancing Leaf Studios.



I used the eyelash just around the top and I think it looks cute. At the bottom I used a triple plied yarn that was mohair, wool and some sort of metallic. I should have unplied one of the strands because it is a lot bulkier then the rest of the yarn esp after felting. Live and learn. What I don't like about this bag is that the top is a bit floppy and the handles are too short. I give it an A-

2 Comments:

At 8:53 AM, Blogger kristen said...

Those bags are adorable! I can't get over all the neat stuff you knit. It almost makes me want to take it up myself.

 
At 4:25 AM, Blogger Deb H said...

Your bags are beautiful. The only things I've ever felted were unintentional, but it's something I'd like to try. No wait, I had a bar of hand made soap, it smelled so nice, & it was wraped in a wool roving. It felted into an egg sort of shape as the soap got used up, then I poked a hole in it, & filled it with quilt batting scraps, & needled a flower pattern on it to cover the hole I'd made. Does that count? I wanted to say hi, I like your blog, & we have several things in common.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home